In 1942 R.J. and Margaret had a beautiful ranch house constructed with a great room featuring all-natural wood from floor to ceiling with a large fireplace as the focal point displaying the family brand as shown below. They christened the ranch "Kimlick" a combination of Flick and Kimpton. There were approximately 4-6 large bedrooms, a den with a second fireplace, bay windows, vaulted ceilings and a spacious basement.
The Flicks ,as well as their children and grandchildren, lived and worked in the Truckee meadows for decades. Margaret's daughter from a previous marriage, Genevra Kimpton, cofounded the Nevada Humane Society, the area's first animal shelter and pet adoption center. The Flicks grandson "Little John" Kimpton started his freshman year at Bishop Manogue Catholic High School, which would turn out to be the very same site as the Kimlick Ranch house a few years later. John Kimpton later served as a Reno Police officer for 20 years.
The home was laid out less than a hundred feet from the banks of the Truckee River. The address at that time was 101 Boynton Lane. The Flicks lived there with a maid and a cook. A separate dwelling on the property housed the ranch manager.
The Flicks knew and interacted with many prominent people involved in the early development of Reno. This included ranchers, politicians and business owners. They hosted and participated in a number of social and special events such as the Reno Rodeo. They were among the first members of the Nevada White Hats, an equestrian group that still exists today. R.J. was a prominent business man and real estate investor himself. In 1945, as part of a Nevada syndicate, R.J. acquired the San Franciscan Hunter-Dulin Building, a class A, 22 story office building. The transaction was touted in the Reno Evening Gazette as "the largest cash real estate transaction in San Francisco in recent years."
In 1957 the Flicks sold the 14 acre parcel that they built their home on and moved into a smaller house on what is known today as Cleanwater Way. This house was close to their Kimlick home and on a parcel of ranch land they acquired from the Questa family. They later moved to South Reno and lived in the Crummer Mansion. They also came to own the house next to that, previously inhabited by Norman Biltz. They sold the Biltz home in the 1950s to Bill Harrah of Harrah's Hotel and Casino. Today the site boasts a spectacular mansion.
The Flicks, a very active couple, offered their residence as a meeting place for county planners while city and county buildings were still being erected. R.J. served as a county planner tasked with, flood control, sewage and drainage projects.
The land previously owned by the Mapes family came in the possession of Margaret and Robert "R.J." Flick, Margaret's daughter Genevra and son-in-law Lawrence Kimpton. R.J. is believed to have made his fortune in the dairy industry while living in the Midwest. He is rumored to have been the first person to use refrigerated train cars to ship ice cream. After a stint of living in Beverly Hills California, the Flicks were recruited by Norman Biltz, a prominent Nevada business man, to become Reno residents. Biltz was known to entice the Flicks among many other millionaires around the country to move to Nevada for the tax benefits. Thus supporting Biltz' high profile real estate business.