Flick Ranch

So ends this 86 year period of activity at the current site of the Flick ranch house before Robert Flick and Margaret Kimpton took ownership of the land and constructed their home. It is a place where many important firsts occurred and where Nevada history was made, the Flick Ranch begins the next chapter of this story.

After the Alts, the property was purchased by the prominent Nevadan George Mapes, grandfather to Charles Mapes Jr. who erected the Mapes Hotel; the only skyscraper west of the Mississippi in 1947. After only moderate success in the mining industry, George took up ranching in Northern Nevada. Having many thousands of acres of land he furnished the budding population of the Truckee meadows with beef and began a legacy for future generations of his family.

Not far from the south bank of the river was an old Indian camp where Paiutes fished and hunted for several years starting in 1865. Young Chief Winnemucca visited as did another friend of the Euro-American settlers, Chief Natches.

A man named George Alt purchased 258 acres of land in this area where he probably began living in 1861 with his wife Susan Carroll. George was Chairman of the County Commission beginning in 1893 and he grew everything from prize-winning cabbage to experimental tobacco on his farm. They built the first home on the property, which later burned down.

 

The Settlement

 Circa 1857 -1941

 

 

In 1857 George F. Stone and Charles C. Gates opened a trading post east of Reno on the Truckee River. These two men were said to be the first settlers in the Truckee Meadows and in 1860 they erected a toll bridge crossing the river. The area became known as Stone and Gates Crossing. Between 1857 and 1867 this was the largest and most prosperous village in the region. During those years several dwellings, stores, a post office, and a schoolhouse were erected within a radius of approximately ten miles. When the post office was established the name of "Stone and Gates Crossing" was changed to "Glendale." The village prospered until after the birth of Reno in the Spring of 1868, when the town gradually declined.